Saturday, May 25, 2013

Do You Doula?

I read an article yesterday talking about why some women don't hire a doula. I decided personally to address the concerns in the article from the point of view of my personal practice. Now being a doula I am obviously pro-doula but I do think finding the right doula for you is just as important as having one in general. I recognize that not all women are going to want me at their birth. So without further ado here is some insight into me as a person, my birth philosophies and what to expect when you hire me!

What does a doula do?
-Quite simply I support you and your choices! I answer questions, I provide resources such as my birth library for you to use if you want. I talk to you about your previous births and meet with you after your birth to let you process it. I help your partner support you and most importantly I stand up for you when you want me to and I make sure you have time to make decisions. I attend difficult appointments with you. I celebrate with you on the good days of pregnancy and labor and on the bad days I cry with you and hold your hand. I will help you achieve your breastfeeding goals and if you change your mind 3000 times about getting an epidural that's ok I will stay right in step with you the whole way!

Do you replace my husband? Can he even be in the room with me if you are there?
-No No No! I do NOT replace your husband or significant other! And most hospitals will allow both me and your significant other in the room with you. If you aren't sure you can ask me or your doctor about the protocols at your specific hospital or birth center. I cannot possibly replace the love and comfort your significant other brings to the table any more than a cheerleader can replace a loving parent at a basketball game. We do separate jobs but help facilitate one another. I know the lingo of birth. I know birth protocols. I know how to help you bring your baby into the world. Your loved ones know you. They love you. They care more about you than anyone in  the world. They will support you in ways I never could. But they don't usually know birth as well as I do just like I don't know you as well as they do. Between us being a team we will give you the best labor and birth possible!

What if my doctor says they don't recommend doulas?
-Most doctors love doulas so you should ask them why they don't like them. They may not understand what a doula is or maybe they had a bad experience with one...but let me clear the air on something- it doesn't matter what they think for several reasons: 1) They most likely will not be at the delivery of your baby because the chance of them being on call when you go into labor is unlikely. 2) They deal with several births a day so you are literally one of thousands. However I only deal with one birth at a time (you will probably be my only birth that week) and each is as unique as the mothers involved. And most importantly you have to live with your labor- birth is transformative for better or worse. Do what is best for you, not your doctor. 3) They haven't met me yet. I will attend an appointment with you (if you want) so I can meet your care provider. And I am pretty good at winning people over to the idea of me being your doula. :)

What if I am using a midwife instead?
-Yay! I love working with midwives! I actually know several of them in the area (2 of them actually were at my baby's birth!) A midwife is great! But they are not doulas. They are there for your healthcare needs and your baby's needs. I am their for your emotional needs! If you need a back rub and for the baby's heart tones monitored you can bet the midwife will ditch your back rub to check on the baby (as they should!) but why have that when I can give you a back rub while they check fetal tones and your hubby tells you how amazing you are and rubs your feet?! :) See life is better with everyone working together!

What if I want to give birth in a hospital instead of at home?
-So far (besides my own labor) I have only been a doula for hospital births! I would love to attend a home birth but if you choose to give birth in a hospital I am just as much there for you as anyone! In fact in a lot of ways that is more the environment I have been trained to work in!

What if I already KNOW I am getting an epidural? This natural stuff isn't for me so why would I need you?
-Don't like pain? Me neither! Did you know that they did a study and having a doula present reduces labor time, reduces chance of an emergency c-section, reduces chance of needing instruments to deliver the baby (can you say ow!) and overall increase mother satisfaction of her birth. It also reduces the number of women who ask for an epidural- now that could be for several reasons but some (like me) think it is because we help to reduce the pain as well. Since it can take anesthesiologists a while to get there with the epidural that is probably a good thing!

What if I don't like hippies or granola ladies? Are you going to make me worship Buddha while I labor?
-Umm NO. I don't worship Buddha so I'm certainly not going to make you do it. I may be a little naturally minded -as in I think women are strong and can birth babies however they feel like- (natural, epidural, c-section, at home or in a hospital) but that means ALL women who take the path to motherhood are strong no matter how you get there! (can I get an amen?) I also wear cowboy boots and ride a horse and am a Texan through and through. I love hippies (my husband is one...gotta love Oregonians) but I am country. I support your right to birth the country way or the hippie way or anyway you feel is best for you. No braids or beads required. (But I will braid your hair if you ask me too)

What about the price?
Well as of right now my services are free but I do ask for a $25 traveling fee because gas has gotten SO expensive! However, I will waive that fee for lots of reasons some of the most popular reasons being:

  • Women in a crisis pregnancy
  • Women giving their baby up for adoption
  • Women on Medicare/caid, SNAPs, TANF, or WIC
  • School Teachers (my husband's one so I send a lot of love to you ladies)
  • Peace Corp
  • Women who's significant other is away for any reason- the most popular being because he is deployed
  • If you are a foster parent
*if your specific situation is not listed above but you cannot afford the $25 please let me know and I am sure we can arrange something. :) Every woman should be able to have a doula! -I am also willing to barter if thats best for you and your family- seriously.

Now that you know a little about me, please let me know about you! What your goals are for your labor and delivery? How can I help you achieve them?

I work in the Lubbock, Midland, Odessa, and Amarillo area (basically any place within 2 hours of Lubbock). Feel free to call me at 432.638.6877 or email at sarahjohnsondoula@gmail.com
And please find me on facebook!

-Sarah Johnson
The Cowgirl Doula

No comments:

Post a Comment