Until I got involved with cloth diapering I had never heard about eco-friendly menstruation items. So if you have been left out of the loop don't feel bad.
|Picture from Domino Pad's website, link below|
- Many tampons come with applicators and you can't actually see what you are putting in your body. Read this story if you don't know why that can be a bad thing.
- Tampons can cause cramping whereas many menstruation cup users say that the cup actually eliminates or at least helps ease cramping (I think we can all get behind that!)
- Each time you insert a tampon you are inserting a non-sterile object into your body that was made by a person and could have God-know-what on it, but you only buy one (or maybe 2 or 3 if you are really passionate) cups so you always know where you have been keeping it, how clean it is and you can always sterilize it by boiling it (you can't do that with a tampon now can you?)
- I have heard (no studies sorry, if you know of a study that proves this please link it below though) that it also is less likely to leak then traditional tampons (yay no leaks! Because that can be gross and embarrassing!) and I have heard that TSS can be avoided by using menstruation cups (correct me if that is just urban legend though).
- You only need to buy one menstruation cup compared to thousands upon thousands of tampons over your life. This means you are saving thousands of gallons of fossil fuels for transportation of the tampons, no more cardboard for the box they come in, no more tampons in our water ways (if they are flushable) or dumps (if they aren't), no more applicator and other individual packaging trash, no more gas to run to the store at 1 am to get more tampons, and no more resources going into actually making the tampon and all it's "accessories"!
- I have never seen statistics on how much trash from menstruating women goes into land fills every year, but I would imagine it is quite a bit! Help break the cycle and make the world a cleaner planet for our kids!
|Cloth Pad's from Domino Pad's website, link below|