Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Praise For a Georgia Doctor and Breastfeeding Tips

At this page you will find the wonderful video I have included below:



This video shows a brilliant doctor in Georgia who is helping women breastfeed. Now it may come to a shock to you, but most doctors are not given much training or info. on breastfeeding and many have no experience with it (now of course this will vary by geographical location and the importance each individual puts on breastfeeding). And from breastfeeding my child, I understand that knowing textbook answers is not the same as practice. I knew all the "correct" ways to breastfeed but almost ended up with my daughter in the hospital because she was not actually getting much milk since her latch was wrong (we met with a great lactation consultant and my daughter is exclusively breastfed at 5 months old and are going strong with no intention to stop anytime soon and now I have a lot more of applicable knowledge not just "book knowledge").

I do like how in the news article that the doctor lists the 3 most common questions/concerns during breastfeeding. Hopefully that will help women who feel alone in their breastfeeding struggles know that many other women have gone through the same things! I also hope it encourages breastfeeding moms to seek out help when they are have trouble. I do wish though that they had also shared some common solutions to these 3 problems. But since they didn't I decided it would be a good idea to answer them.

1) A jaundiced baby- This can come from several things. The first is that the yellow tint that indicates jaundice comes from bilirubin, which is basically broken down red blood cells (yes I know that is the super simplified version but really what causes biliruben in this case is not as important and being able to get rid of it). Bilirubin is iliminated through the poo and therefore it is very important for your baby to get breastmilk because it has a natural laxitive effect. If your breastfeeding is going well but your baby still is showing signs of jaundice consider allowing them to get a little more sunlight or use a light table that your doctor can get you (I prefer natural sunlight). If your baby is not seeming to get better, jaundice can be a serious condition so get them looked at sooner over later.

2) Sore Breasts- I did not deal with this even when I had troubles with the latch, so I do not have as much experience (and fixing a latch is better done in person) but I will tell you that there are a couple times your breasts may be sore and it will be normal and then signs that it is not "normal soreness". When you are engorged, you may feel that your breast are sore (or in my case feel like they are going to bust!) I never found a solution to this, but I promise it does go away. Try to breastfeed often and do not despair  Just take the Tylenol  I tried to be the martyr and not do it and it really just lead to more breastfeeding problems. Another time your breast may feel sore is if you have a blocked duct. These are painful in the breast (not the nipple usually) and the best thing to do is to massage the sore area (I know, not super comfortable) and let your baby nurse on that side a little bit extra. (You can also take vitamin C if you have a plugged duct. I actually take it rather regularly because I am very pron to plugged ducts so if I ever think I feel one coming on I take an little bit to help ward it off). If your nipples are sore you need to look into poor latch (call either your doula, lactation consultant or if you are in west Texas let me know and I will come over for free), yeast infection, etc. I found coconut oil cleared up my yeast infection in a matter of hours and P. never caught it in her mouth!

3) Poor Supply! The dreaded poor supply. First off I will tell you this is more of a myth then fact. Yes some women do deal with supply issues but usually that is from poor breastfeeding habits or lack of nutrient intake, not from actual supply issues. If you are having supply issues we need to look at the cause:

  • Are you pumping?
    •  If yes- are you pumping with a efficient pump that empties your breasts and are you pumping every 2-4 hours? If not then find a better pump and increase your amount of times pumping especially at night! If you are pumping every 2-4 hours with a quality pump and your supply is still diminishing then try pumping every 1-2 hours if possible. 
    • If that does not work skip to supplements
  • Are you breastfeeding exclusively? 
    • If no: You really need to try to breastfeed exclusively...your supply will diminish if the demand is not high enough from your baby. You might skip down to supplements though if increasing breastfeeding is not an option.
    • If yes: Try to spend as much time allowing your baby to breastfeed. One day my child was not feeling well (I only have her so I could do this without needing a babysitter, but it might be worth paying for a all day babysitter one day for the benefits I'm going to tell you about) so she wanted to nurse all day! Literally I think I got up from the couch where I nurse her 4 times all day. The rest of the time she nursed. For the next 2 weeks I have LOTS of extra supply! I was pumping all the time (because she doesn't normally nurse that much and I needed to get rid of some of it) but for someone dealing with supply issues this could really help (especially if you don't encourage it to go away like I did.
    • Also try doing what my husband nicknamed "the dessert booby". Basically you feed the baby on side A until the baby stops nursing (like I mean falls off the nipple stops eating, don't remove the baby from you nipple though and don't take the baby away just because they unlatch only once they refuse to take it again should you switch sides) then switch baby to side B and offer that side to him/her. If she takes it allow her to keep nursing until also done on that side. Next time baby is ready to nurse allow her to take side B first and then offer "the dessert booby" which this time will be side A. And so on and so forth. If baby does not want side the "dessert booby" side that is ok too. Don't force it. If you baby is full they are not going to want to keep eating. If they are not full then they will take the other side.
  • Are you taking supplements? 
    • Prenatals or Breastfeeding vitamins? If no I recommend one. I take one that I get from Sprouts and it is amazing! Its called "Baby and Me" and I love them.
    • Alfalfa? Let me tell you if I want my supply to increase I just have to take 3 of these little pills and I'm gushing! And the recommended dose is 9 a day! I can't imagine what would happen if I did that! (I take them for the vitamin K benefits- we chose not to do the shot) 
    • Fenugreek? I have never tried it but I know a lot of women swear by it. So you might give it a try too.
  • Are you eating enough?
    • It takes a lot of calories to create breast milk. Once you get back to your ideal weight you should make sure you are consuming extra nutrients. If you do not you will begin to have supply issues (also try to stay away from junk food or so called "empty calories" healthy food (fresh fruits and vegetables, whole wheat, fiber, protein(!), and healthy fats). 
  • Are you drinking enough? 
    • Breast milk is a liquid and it takes lots of water to create it! Make sure you are drinking extra water so both you and your baby stay hydrated. 
I hope this helps you in your quest to meet your breastfeeding goals! If you have any questions or would like further help feel free to contact me (through comments or email or by phone)! I believe breastfeeding is the best start you can give your child and I would love to help you do that in any way I can!

-The Cowgirl Doual

No comments:

Post a Comment