Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Toddler Cup and More: Helpful Tips for Comfort During Labor

BornFree Set of 2 Straw Cups - Pink and Purple
http://www.meijer.com/s
/bornfree-set-of-2-straw-cups-pink-and-purple/_/R-213173
Well, I am finally beginning to feel like I am getting on top of this whole blogging thing.

So I am going to write one of my first posts from scratch (be impressed).

These are some ideas that I have come up with or have heard of that can help during labor:

First is the most brilliant one I just heard today: Use a Toddler cup for water (or other drink- such as coconut water or poweraid) one of those that has a bendy straw attached to the lid. It allows ease for           mother to drink while in interesting labor positions.

Rice Packs- this one comes from my midwife's facebook page. She took pieces of cotton cloth and put rice in them (and some lavender) and sewed the edges after using a "quick stitch" adhesive on the fabric. These can be put in the microwave to heat up and applied to whatever part of the body mother wants

Peppermint Oil- peppermint can help relieve pain, help the cervix dilate and calm the mind. Worked wonders in making me feel better during labor. Just use as directed on the bottle (I found using it on my forehead and neck helped the most) I wonder if having some soft peppermint to chew on would have been a good idea or not for early labor?? Any thoughts? I will have to look it up.

And then lastly music, some women enjoy a nice tribal rhythm while in labor. It helps them connect to their bodies and all the women that have gone before them in labor and birth. Some women will also go to a place of wildness, almost a primeval place to gain strength to push their baby out. Tribal music can often help them connect to that part of their brain.

Of course always listen to your body and what is says you need. And if you have an questions of concerns ask your healthcare professional and do research! : )

-The Cowgirl Doula

No comments:

Post a Comment