Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What is a Doula

© Jakubjoachim|Stock Free Images
So it has occurred to me that some may not know what a doula is, or what they do. According to Websters Dictionary a doula is "a woman experienced in childbirth who provides advice, information, emotional support, and physical comfort to a mother before, during, and just after childbirth"

That is actually a very good definition. Doulas become experienced in childbirth in a number of different ways. In my case I have actually had a child so that helps. I also read birth stories as well as watch birth videos. That is not all though. I also read books and articles on childbirth, evidence based care and standard medical practices. I also of course attend births and act as a labor support person. 

Because of my knowledge I can also provide advice, information and suggestions (however, these are just that-suggestions. They are not medical advice nor should they take the place of medical advice or personal research). The emotional support is given regardless of choices a client makes. I am not the one that has to live with the births that I attend therefore I defer all decisions to the woman and her labor companion(s). Now, that does not mean I will sit idly by and allow birth trauma or abuse happen, it also does not mean that I will not fight for your choices. It simply means that even if you choose something I would not, I will support you no matter what. 

The physical comfort is something we discuss beforehand, at one of our prenatal meetings. If you have had a child before I will ask you what you liked during labor comfort wise and what you wish you had more of. If you have not had a child before then I will discuss what you like while you are sick, what you think you will like and ways I can help you discover things you will like during labor. There are several types of things I will bring with me to your labor (depending on what you request and where you are giving birth). For example candles (for non-hospital births), a birth/yoga ball, heat packs, washcloths, counter pressure balls and scarfs, pillows, aromatherapy oils and massaging oils, cd player, music, books, etc. 

During our prenatal appointments we will also get to know one another and discuss your birthing preferences and wishes (such as interventions desired or specifically wanting to avoid, breastfeeding goals, location of birth, information on your healthcare professionals, and labor companions, etc.). If you choose to hire me you will also gain access to my birthing library which contains books on childbirth, parenting, pain management strategies, leaflets on different evidence based procedure, videos, etc.  

A doula does not just support you though, they also help your significant other and other labor companions support you as well. They help to take some of the pressure off of your labor companions and help them out if they are feeling fatigued or are not sure what support to offer you. 

Some doulas offer postpartum care as well while others do not. I do offer it, I will check in with you several times after your birth to help you achieve your breastfeeding goals, make the transition to a new person in the family easier and help you process your labor and birth experience.

While where you birth does matter, WHO is at your birth is even more important. A doula is someone who will support you no matter what. Interviewing lots of doulas is always a good idea and then find the one that fits your price and philosophy/style the best. 

-The Cowgirl Doula

No comments:

Post a Comment