Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tips for Labor: Olive Oil and Counter Pressure

© Contentfactory|Stock Free Images 
This is the last post in my 5 day series of Tips for Labor. I hope you enjoy. And feel free to list in the comments any tips you would add the my series!

If you read my birth story you will see that I had an amazing midwife that really helped me during the crowning stage. In fact she helped me so much that I did not tear nor did I need any stitches. Her work inspired me so much that I wanted to pass on some advice that she gave.

1. Do not push the baby out quickly (once they have begun to crown). Instead push them out millimeter by millimeter and make sure your doctor/midwife knows that you do not want to be cut or have an episiotomy.

2. Feeling the "ring of fire" is actually a sign you are NOT tearing and is a good thing. Push slowly and gently during that time and allow your skin to stretch. Remember it was designed to do this.

3. Counter pressure! Having someone (ideally someone that has done it before) provide counter pressure on your perineum is very helpful and reduces tearing significantly.

4. Rubbing olive oil over the skin while crowning helps the skin to stretch, and lubricates the area more. (You can also use vitamin E oil if you prefer.

5. Do not push on your back while crowning! That will lead to a tear for sure. Instead push on your hands and knees, standing up, or while squatting instead.

6. Hopefully, if you have received any sort of pain meds they will have worn off by this stage, because being able to feel where to push and how is also very important toward not tearing or only tearing minimally.

Crowning is one of the most intense moments of birth. While it only lasted a matter of minutes, to me, it is what seems like took the longest in hindsight. : ) So be prepared and make sure you, your healthcare provider, your doula, and your labor support person (ie. spouse, mother, etc.) are all on the same page about what your wishes are.

-The Cowgirl Doula

No comments:

Post a Comment